Most people are familiar bacon wrapped scallops but if you’ve made it you’d know that neither was cooked properly. Because scallops take only a few minutes to cook, it always seems like the bacon, which takes longer to cook it always underdone. This recipe is the solution. The scallops are seared for a delicate flavor, and served with a warm sun dried tomato-corn and corn vinaigrette, spooned over the topper for an incredibly explosive flavor and a glorious contrast. Serve over Wasabi mashed potatoes for complimentary flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 strips bacon, cut into batons (cut in ⅛ inch (5mm)
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped marinated sun dried tomatoes (Trader Joe’s or Woolworths 🇿🇦brands)
- ½ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoons Dijon wholegrain mustard or Dijon
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, julienned
- 18-20 large sea scallops
- To serve, wasabi mashed potatoes link ➡️ https://wp.me/paOWbs-l4
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the bacon with slotted spoon to a plate with paper towel to drain. Transfer the bacon to a small bowl. (Reserve the bacon fat in the pan.
- Increase the heat under the pan to high, add the shallots , and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the vinegar and stir in the mustard and honey to dissolve. Add the sun dried tomatoes, corn and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the scallops: Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat and quickly sauté until golden about 2 minutes on each side, or until just cooked.
- Assembly: Place a serving of mashed potato in the center of each plate, arrange the scallops on top and spoon the vinaigrette oven each scallop. Enjoy!