The name says it all, an old fashion favorite comfort cookie loaded with brown sugar, pecans, golden raisins, currants and a combination of spices. My favorite is the cardamom. I’ve always been reluctant to use shortening but with no real valid reason so after much research and testing I decided to include it in this recipe. This recipe showed me the power of shortening because the cookies with just butter were not as crisp, but if you want a chewy oatmeal cookie omit the shortening and substitute with ½ cup (1 stick) butter.
Makes 4½ – 5 dozen
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened (4oz or 113g)
- ½ cup vegetable shortening (4oz or 113g)
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar (12oz or 330g)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk (125ml)
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour (5.3oz or 210g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5ml)
- ½ teaspoon salt (2.25ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (5ml)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (5ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (5ml)
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (5.25ml)
- 2 ½ cups old fashion oats (10½ oz or 247½ g)
- ¾ cup golden raisins (3.90z or 112g)
- 1½ cups chopped pecans (6oz or 171g)
- ¼ cup currants (1½ oz or 35½ g)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (5ml)
Brown Butter Glaze:
- Brown Butter Icing
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter (2oz or 56 grams)
- 1½ cups sifted powdered sugar (6oz or 170¼ g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water (15 – 30ml)
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (180℃) Grease 1 or more cookie sheets.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until mixture is light in color. Add vanilla and buttermilk.
- With your mixer on low speed add flour mix into creamed mixture in 2 equal parts. Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon fold in oatmeal, raisins, and pecans, mixing only until incorporated. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Drizzle with Brown Butter Icing.
Brown Butter Icing:
Yield: enough to ice 5 dozen cookies
- In a small saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make an icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle on warm cookies.