We LOVE, LOVE, L_O_V_E this soup, and that’s without exaggeration. The carrots natural flavor and sweetness is enhanced by roasting the carrots before for 10 minutes. This carrot-ginger soup has the perfect flavor balance with the sweetness from the carrots and the warm and heat from the ginger. A little coconut milk and the shredded coconut soften the spicy edge of this soup while adding just a small amount of fat.
This delicious fragrant, colorful soup is velvety rich and so comforting. Perfect for cozying up around the fireplace or if you’re recovering from a cold, but it’s the perfect holiday appetizer or shooter for a cocktail holiday party especially because its so budget friendly.
To make this vegan see the note below.
- 6-7 medium carrots (12 ounces) (340g)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil (45ml)
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons ginger, finely grated (about 2 inch (5 cm) piece)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (7.5ml)
- 3 cups chicken broth, preferable homemade (750ml)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (45ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (10ml)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (10ml)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (5ml)
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter (15ml)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup low fat milk (250ml)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 C) Cut the carrots in half and cut again in quarters, the into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces ensuring that are of equal size (as close as possible). Toss with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of coconut oil, salt and pepper and roast for 6-8 minutes or until carrots just start to deepen in color.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat, heat the remaining coconut oil and add the onion. Cook until translucent and softened about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, ginger, garlic and crushed pepper flakes and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter and sesame oil. Ladle into a blender and puree the soup until smooth. Do it in 2 batches and only fill ⅔ of the way. FYI: When blending hot liquids always remove the small cap in the lid and gentle hold a dishtowel over it.
- Return it to the saucepan and add the coconut milk and low fat milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Shrimp: Pat dry the shrimp and toss with 1tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil, shredded coconut, cayenne, salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes, or until pink.
- To serve: Ladle the carrot-ginger soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the coconut shrimp. Garnish with a pinch of cayenne. (optional)
* NOTE: For vegan option omit the shrimp and replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. If you like you could add a half teaspoon of vegan Fish sauce for added umami flavor but its optional.